Muffins. They’re my weakness. Paleo has not cured me of my need for baked goods. If there’s a paleo alternative, I’ll find it. You’ll see lots of good baked-goods recipes on Paleology. They’re slowly starting to collect. It take a little while, but I love me some waffles, pancakes, muffins (are you seeing a breakfast theme here?) desserts…anything sweet. Yes, something is a bit out of control with my cravings lately. I think it’s because I switched my breakfast smoothie to a veggie smoothie…my body wants the banana berry smoothie that I was so used to. Perhaps the 21 day sugar detox will help me cure the need for sweets. Or make it worse.
Anyway, on to the recipe. These little pieces of goodness take absolutely no time at all. Just mix the ingredients together and pop it in the oven. They’re delicious in the morning. I’ll make them on a Sunday and have them with my breakfast smoothie on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. E and I absolutely love them.
Makes: 6 muffins Time: 25 minutes (prep + cook)
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (real) maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I actually used vanilla bean paste, because I’m obsessed lately)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice – about 1 lemon
- 2 tsp lemon zest – about 1 lemon
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- Mix all the dry ingredients together into a bowl first, then add everything else except the coconut oil and poppy seeds. Make sure to stir it well and combine everything.
- Melt your coconut oil and pour it in. Again, make sure to mix well.
- Add the poppy seeds and yup, you guessed it, mix well.
- Divide the batter into 6 muffin tins. Make sure you grease the muffin tin first so the muffins come out nicely at the end.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes and poke with a toothpick to make sure it’s cooked the whole way through.