So paleo has definitely not gotten rid of my sweet tooth. I grab a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips nearly every time I’m in the grocery store. Pop a few of those in your mouth as you’re cooking dinner and you’ll wish it was dessert. So, I thought, why not make a dessert dinner? It’s almost as perfect as breakfast dinners. Oh WAIT! It’s that too.
Waffles are amazing. Enough said. Grab yourself a waffle maker, because you’ll be making these all the time, I guarantee it.
Now here’s twist, I like to grind my own almond flour…it adds a certain nutty taste to the waffle and make them quite filling. If you don’t have time to make your own almond flour then grab a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal in the organic section at your grocery store.
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1.5 cup ground almonds (or almond meal/flour)
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life is the brand)
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (make sure on the label it says 100% pure maple syrup! none of this corn syrup fake kind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 chopped banana (optional)
- pinch of kosher salt
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
- Whisk your eggs, then add in all the other ingredients including the banana (if desired).
- Coat your waffle maker with some type of oil (coconut, olive, vegetable if you can’t find anything else).
- Play around with the amount of batter you put in your waffle maker and see how the waffle turns out. I usually scoop a 1/2 cup or so and place it in the middle of the waffle maker. As I close the lid it slides outward.
Top with some maple syrup, more bananas, or whatever makes your heart go pitter-pat.